The season of love is upon us and for many, Valentine’s Day marks an opportunity to express adoration to your significant other in a heartfelt, romantic way. Whether you prefer to splurge on an evening out or would rather stay within the comfort of your own home, a great bottle of wine should lead the way. We tend to leave the reservations and expensive dinners to others and opt for a simple candlelight dinner complete with our favorite sweet treats. We definitely love to take the opportunity to indulge in our favorite desserts and make that, along with the wine, the main focus of the evening.
Setting the mood at home doesn’t have to be an expensive or over-the-top endeavor, but rather about the simple romantic gestures that celebrate your relationship. Use these tips, along with our decadent chocolate covered strawberries recipe for a cost-effective, yet memorable night in.
Valentine's Day at Home
Tip 1 — Set the Table
Adorn your table within the color palette of reds, pinks and whites to stay festive with the holiday. We chose a white tablecloth to allow for our gorgeous flowers (petals), candles, wine and food to shine.
Tip 2 — Light the Mood
Speaking of candles, opt for plenty of them around the table instead of traditional lighting. This will certainly set the evening apart from other routine dinner nights!
Tip 3 — Splashes of Prettiness
Flowers, Flowers, Flowers. Nothing makes a table more prettier than a gorgeous arrangement of fresh flowers. Roses will be in abundant at the markets or you can choose another favorite flower in a red, pink or white hue to break the mold. We chose Ranunculus and placed them amongst 3 different size vases along the table.
Tip 4 — Ambiance to the Ears
Complete the ambiance you’ve set with sweet, soulful music in the background. We suggest the likes of Marvin Gaye, Michael Buble, Luther Vandross or simply just some smooth jazz.
Tip 5 — Dress the Part
Just because you’re staying in to celebrate the holiday, fight the urge to wear your usual comfy sweats. Give yourself permission to dress up, wear your favorite jewelry, put on a tie and truly make it date night at home. It will make the night that much more special.
Tip 6 — Decadent Assortments
After you’ve finished your steak or lobster, we suggest continuing to sip your Cambria Tepusquet Vineyard Syrah or Julia’s Vineyard Pinot Noir with a decadent array of delicious sweet treats. How often do we let ourselves splurge on a buffet of assorted desserts? Go ahead indulge yourself this Valentine’s Day, we promise it’ll be our little secret! For our selection of goodies, we stopped by a lovely bakery and selected our favorite macarons and mini cheesecakes, included my favorite candy and sour gummy hearts, plus our hand-dipped black & white chocolate strawberries.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1lb Strawberries (stem on, wash and dried thoroughly)
- 1 bag of Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 bag of White Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts (optional)
- Place the dark and white chocolate chips into two heatproof medium bowls.
- Fill two medium saucepans with a few inches of water and bring to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat, set the bowls of chocolate chips over the water and stir constantly until chocolate is melted.
- Melt the chocolates in a microwave-safe dish at half power for approximately 1 minute.
- Stir, then place back in the microwave for another minute stirring every 15-20 seconds until melted.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Grab strawberry by the stem and dip into melted dark or white chocolate, twist to allow excess chocolate to drip off into the bowl.
- Place dipped strawberry onto the parchment and drizzle, using a fork, with the other chocolate not used.
- Let chill 30 minutes.
Whatever you decide to do in celebration of Valentine’s Day, we hope it’s surrounded by love, good food and even better wine.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you and your loved ones!
Written By: Kristin Mansky