While turkey is the more traditional meat to serve over the course of the holiday season, I always prefer Thanksgiving ham. You can pack so much flavor into a roasted ham, plus I love the hint of sweetness in a glaze. This ham is glazed with a chardonnay honey glaze using Cambria's Benchmark Chardonnay. It is my favorite white wine to both drink and cook with. The fruit and oak spice aromas pair perfectly with the sweet honey. So mix it up this season & serve this delicious glazed ham over the turkey!
Thanksgiving Ham with Chardonnay Honey Glaze
7-8 lbs cooked ham butt end
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup chardonnay
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup raw honey
1 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 garlic clove minced
2 shallots minced
salt and pepper to taste
3-4 cups chicken stock, for roasting
* Place ham skin side up in a large roasting pan. Using a sharp knife, score ham in a criss-cross pattern. Set aside while you prepare the glaze.
* In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter & garlic. Add the shallots, salt & pepper. Cook until the shallots begin to turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
* Whisk in the chicken stock, chardonnay, brown sugar, honey, dijon, thyme, and nutmeg. Heat until the sugar has fully dissolved.
* Pour the remaining chicken stock in the base of the roasting pan.
* Carefully spoon 1/3 of the glaze over the ham skin.
* Roasted the ham at 325 degrees for two hours, basting every 25 minutes. Alternate between basting with the glaze & the chicken stock.
* Thinly slice and serve with a side of pan drippings.
Love this post? Share it with your friends or PIN to save for later!
Written By: Marcella DiLonardo