Tax Day is just around the corner (April 15th to be exact). This is the one day of April that so many people dread, including myself. To ease the grief and gain some relief, I have found that good Southern style comfort food is key to lifting your spirits.
Take a break from all that pesky paperwork and treat yourself to this delightful maple cork cake that is topped with fresh peaches and cream. Want a great dinner to pair with it? Then check out this delicious Gumbo & Grits recipe. Best of all, Cambria’s Chardonnay pairs beautifully with both recipes.
Tax Break Southern Comfort Dessert
Maple Corn Cake with Chardonnay Peaches and Cream
- 1 c. corn flour or very finely ground cornmeal
- 1 c. AP flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick (8 TBS) of salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 c. plus ¾ c. sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 c. sour cream, at room temperature
- ½ c. maple syrup
- ¾ c. Chardonnay
- 1 lb. frozen peaches
- freshly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 9-inch round cake tin all over and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn flour, flour, baking powder and salt until evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then add 1/3 cup of sugar and beat until fully incorporated. Add the eggs to the butter one at a time, beating thoroughly between additions. Add half of the sour cream to the batter and beat to incorporate, then beat in the maple syrup. Add half of the flour mixture and stir to evenly mix. Repeat with the remaining sour cream and flour mixture, stirring to combine between each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Before serving the cake, add the remaining ¾ cup of sugar and the Chardonnay to a saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over low heat, and simmer until sugar is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the peaches and cook until peaches are soft and syrup is reduced. Serve the maple corn cake topped with the warm peaches, peach syrup, and fresh whipped cream.
Don’t forget dinner!
You can find the Gumbo & Grits recipe here.