Enjoy the epitome of summer with this spicy grilled salmon cobb salad that’s topped with tomatoes, eggs, avocado, corn, cucumber, parsley and drizzled with a tangy vinaigrette. All fresh ingredients you can grab at the market combined into one delicious meal.
The warmth of the sun, the breeze of the summer air, it all amounts to relaxing afternoons spent out on the deck enjoying a backyard barbecue with friends while the kids run around the yard and the dogs following close by. It’s the beginning of a season where time starts to move just a little slower, the days are longer and there is a bit of reckless abandonment to barefoot afternoons. Set aside the elaborate recipes and opt for effortless spins on classic meals like this spicy grilled salmon cobb salad. It’s easy to put together, takes just a few minutes on the grill and has a little extra zing that’ll have you craving a sip of that Benchbreak Chardonnay.
Spicy Grilled Salmon Cobb Salad
Ingredients for Salmon Seasoning Mix
- 4 salmon filets
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
Ingredients for Cobb Salad
- Mixed salad greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup roasted corn niblets
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- Freshly chopped parsley for topping
Ingredients for Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/2 lemon (plus lemon zest)
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the dry seasoning for the salmon. Brush the olive oil onto the salmon filets and rub with the spicy seasoning mix. Let stand in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the salmon is marinating, prepare the cobb salad and dressing. You can choose to prepare one large bowl or 4 individual servings for the salad. Start by adding the mixed greens and top with cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, avocado, corn niblets and cucumber. Make sure to leave room for the spicy salmon once grilled.
- For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients except the olive oil. Once well combined, slowly add the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- If need be, brush the grill grates with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Place the salmon filets directly onto the grill and let cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and let sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Slice and arrange on top of the salad. Drizzle with the dressing and top with chopped parsley.
I’m typically not a big salad eater, but lately I’ve been craving cobb salads because they’re packed full of delicious ingredients that leaving me feeling satisfied. Combined with my additional craving for fresh fish, this spicy grilled salmon was the perfect way to switch up the traditional chicken in a cobb salad and add something a bit more fresh and healthy to the menu. The farmers market fresh ingredients topped with the spicy grilled salmon work perfectly when drizzled with the homemade tangy vinaigrette. It’s a good balance of spice and zest that then works so good when paired with a glass of Benchbreak Chardonnay. I love how this Chardonnay can cut through the spice and still leave you with a refreshing, clean finish.
If this recipe doesn’t scream for the start of summer then I don’t know what will! Cheers friends.
Written By : Kristin Mansky of Modish & Main