Kick things up a notch this summer with this healthy, delicious pan-seared tilapia with spicy grapefruit avocado salsa.
The summer months inspire me to not only want to eat healthier, lighter meals, but also to utilize produce in fun new ways that can take a dish from boring to flavorful in just minutes. You’d be surprised to learn that I didn’t eat my first avocado until I was 22. Now I can’t get enough them and love adding them to dishes whenever possible. This spicy grapefruit avocado salsa is going to be a new favorite recipe in your kitchen! Since the pan-seared tilapia is only seasoned with salt and pepper, the star of the show is the salsa.
The most time consuming part of this whole recipe is peeling the grapefruit, otherwise it’s a super simple meal that takes 15-20 minutes to make. The tilapia is done in 6 minutes (3 minutes per side) and is flaky and delicious by itself. I love how inexpensive tilapia is so you can make this dish multiple times throughout the summer without breaking the bank.
Pan-Seared Tilapia with Spicy Grapefruit Avocado Salsa
- (4) boneless, skinless tilapia filets
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, stems removed
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 large ripe avocados, diced
- 2 medium ruby red grapefruit
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, peel the grapefruit and separate the individual segments. Reserve the grapefruit juice.
- Now, in a separate bowl gently combine the grapefruit, diced avocado, sliced shallot, cilantro, jalapeño, cayenne pepper, 2 1/2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice, 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- For the tilapia, place a cast iron or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of oil. Season tilapia with remaining salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and place two of the tilapia filets on the skillet. Cook till about golden brown, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and repeat steps for the next two fillets.
- Serve with the spicy grapefruit-avocado salsa.
I suggest sipping on Cambria's Tepusquet Vineyard Viognier as the bright citrus flavors balance the spicy grapefruit avocado salsa, and the crisp finish goes perfectly with the pan-seared tilapia. This is honestly one of my new favorite recipes and it’s so easy to make! I’m already thinking up additional dishes where I can use the grapefruit avocado salsa. Heck, dice up the grapefruit and avocado and serve it with chips!
Written By: Kristin Mansky