Serve up these miso glazed shrimp over cabbage slaw for a healthy, quick, easy dinner option that fires up the tastes buds.
Written By: Kristin Mansky of Modish & Main
With summer just around the corner I find myself wanting to cook less elaborate meals and opt for simple variations with minimal ingredients. This recipe for miso glazed shrimp over cabbage slaw certainly fits the bill. It takes less than 20 minutes to make and while the shrimp is the star of the show, the miso glaze puts it on the pedestal.
After you learn to cook with miso, it’ll quickly become a staple in your pantry. I typically prefer the white variety (shiro) as it’s the mildest option and works great for light dressings and sauces. There is also a red miso (aka) that has a bold, pungent flavor as well as a mixed miso (awase) that’s a blend of the two, but still has a strong taste. The salty taste of miso can amp up any basic dish and it’s packed with protein, vitamins and minerals making it a healthy option as well.
The question begs, how do you miso?
Miso Glazed Shrimp Over Cabbage Slaw
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled, deveined large shrimp
- 1/3 cup white miso
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cups red or green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- In a bowl, whisk together the white miso, brown sugar, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Toss 1/3 of the mixture with the shrimp and the remaining with the cabbage, carrot and pepper mixture. Let stand until shrimp is ready to serve.
- In a large skillet, head canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp with mixture for approximately 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Shrimp are done when they are no longer grey in color and pink all throughout.
- Place cabbage mixture on the plate, squeeze with a wedge of lime followed by the shrimp and a sprinkle of chopped peanuts.
I plan on serving up this dish while we sit in the dining room with the windows wide open and relishing the long summer nights. Let the warmth of the weather shine bright rather than slaving over your stove for far too long. A quick and easy meal leaves you more time to toast a crisp, refreshing glass of Cambria Benchbreak Chardonnay with your friends and loved ones. It’s part of our quest to attain the endless summer and it should all start with a great bottle of wine and a delicious, savory meal.