With the weather warming, the sun lingering longer into the evenings, and hectic schedules slowing, it is easy to get excited about outdoor entertaining again.
Delicious food and wine, comfortable chairs, and an extraordinary view are my favorite things when the thermostat starts to climb. And my extraordinary evening gatherings always seem to revolve around great wine. It can sometimes be intimidating to figure out what to pair with wine, but it really shouldn’t be.
I know there are a lot of rules about what to eat with a certain varietal, but I really like to try new things and see how the flavor of my food changes when paired with wine. And one of my favorite pairings in summer is a light, slightly sweet and salty appetizer.
This Lemon and Thyme Brown Butter Popcorn is perfect for parties, as a quick nibble before dinner, or just a perfect accompaniment to outdoor movies. And it pairs beautifully with Cambria Chardonnay! (And pretty darn good with their Pinot Noir too.)
Lemon and Thyme Brown Butter Popcorn
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (grab in your grocery store’s dairy case- you’ll want a crumbly texture and high quality cheese)
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp browned butter
- 1 bag air-popped popcorn (or about 1 cup of unpopped kernels if making fresh at home)
How to make it:
- In a small pan, brown butter. (Here’s a tip on how to brown butter.)
- When butter has been removed from heat, but is still hot, add thyme and lemon juice and stir well.
- Pour popcorn into large bowl or bag.
- Drizzle brown butter mixture over popcorn, tossing popcorn as you pour so it evenly coats.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over popcorn, again tossing to be sure all of the popcorn gets an even coating of grated cheese.
This popcorn is a perfect picnic or party addition because it tastes great when the butter is still warm, and when it has completely cooled.The last thing you want to worry about when entertaining or just relaxing in your own backyard is timing the food perfectly. This can easily be made ahead, is simple to set out, and is effortless enough to nibble on while grilling, mingling, or soaking up some sun.
More good stuff!
For more ideas to add Cambria to your spring and summer entertaining plans, check out these can’t miss tips on throwing a Romantic Picnic on a Budget over at Sweet C’s Designs - including great ways to set the mood with no-fuss flowers, how to find inexpensive vintage accents that make your setup magazine-worthy, and effortless dinners that pair perfectly with your favorite Chardonnay, Syrah, or Pinot Noir.
By: Courtney O’Dell
About the Author:
Courtney is a mother of two energetic toddlers and lives in Northern Colorado with her husband and Angus, their black lab. Courtney writes the popular creative lifestyle blog Sweet C’s Designs- a site devoted to delicious everyday recipes, home decor, crafts, DIY inspiration, and photography tips. Courtney loves good books, great wine, craft beer, exploring the Colorado mountains, and doing anything she can to avoid housework.