One piece of wood, a few purposeful cuts and you’ve got yourself an incredibly useful DIY wine bottle and glass carrier.
When you blend a love for good wine with the desire to be crafty, you end up creating unique goods for around the house. What I love about the DIY projects I share is the ability for someone with any skill level to create them. Over time you will start to build up a collection of essential tools, but with a minimum cost and a bit of effort you’re able to build yourself one-of-a-kind projects that are not only functional, but make great gifts with the holidays fast approaching.
Whether you love to entertain right in your kitchen, in the family room or out on the patio, a wine bottle and glass carrier will safely get your essentials there while freeing up your other hand for a plate of delicious hors d'oeuvres. This time of year we love serving our guests an oyster trio platter or a delicious maple cream pumpkin trifle.
DIY Wine Bottle and Glasses Carrier
- 1 x 8 x 4 piece of wood (cut down to 7.5” x 7.5”)
- cordless drill
- 1 ½ inch hole saw
- ¼ inch woodboring spade drill bit
- medium grit sandpaper
- jigsaw or scroll saw
- steel square
- wood stain
- Using a miter or circular saw, cut down your piece of wood to 7.5” x 7.5”. The helpful folks at your local hardware store may be willing to do this step for you if you don’t own a saw.
- Measure the exact center of your wood by using a steel square. Attach the 1.5” hole saw to your cordless drill. Line up the point of the hole saw with the exact center of your board and proceed to drill a circular hole.
- Next, measure 1.5” in from each corner towards the center of the board. Attach the 1/4” wood boring spade drill bit to your cordless drill and make 4 holes in each corner.
- Once you have your holes drilled, you are going to use your straight edge and draw a line from the outside edge of the small circle back to the corner of the board on both sides. Repeat this step for all four corners.
- Carefully make two cuts in each corner up to the pre-drilled hole to create a “slit” for the stem of the wine glass using a jigsaw. Do this on all 4 sides.
- Use medium grit sandpaper and smooth out all sides of the board as well as the large center hole and each slit in the corners. Wipe clean.
- Apply a wood stain in the color you prefer (American Walnut used here) with a brush or sponge and wipe away residual stain with a lint free cloth. Let dry completely.
- Slip the wood carrier over the neck of your favorite wine bottle and carefully slide the stem of the glass, upside down, onto the carrier and enjoy a fun night ahead!
An abundance of holiday parties are likely scheduled throughout the next couple of months and this would make a great hostess gift when paired with a bottle of Cambria Wine and accompanied with a pair of wine glasses. If you’re hosting the party yourself, make a few of the carriers in order to save yourself trips back to the kitchen. You’re friends will be impressed with all your ingenuity!
Pin this Do It Yourself Wine Bottle & Glass Carrier to share with your friends!
Written By: Kristin Mansky