Written By: Kristin Mansky
Homemade pizzas are the perfect food for casual entertaining and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love pizza?
When I think of pizza, I immediately imagine my Italian ancestors gathered around an old farmhouse table having just picked fresh ingredients from their garden and assembling a beautiful margherita flatbread pizza (because I’m pretty sure they didn’t do deep dish). I picture aunts, uncles and cousins laughing with one another, a robust glass of red wine in one hand, a slice of pizza in the other and in that very moment, all is right in the world.
I love a crisp flatbread pizza that leaves you room to enjoy the toppings rather than being filled up by the heavy crust. You can certainly save time by purchasing a pre-made crust, there are plenty of decent options available. This however is an easy crust to make and takes the whole “homemade” pizza thing a step further.
Homemade Margherita Flatbread Pizza
Ingredients for Crust
- 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Salt
- ¼ cup Vegan Butter (room temperature)
Ingredients for Topping
- 4 Roma Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup Pomi Strained Tomatoes
- 6-8 fresh sprigs of Basil
- ½ tsp Oregano Seasoning
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (Daiya is a dairy free brand of cheese)
- Honey, for garnish
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Prepare the crust by combining all the ingredients in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment. Let the dough stand for 5-6 minutes then mix again until a ball of dough forms. Make one large pizza or split the dough into 2 balls. Roll out parchment paper and place the ball of dough in the center. Place another piece of parchment on top and start to flatten with a rolling pin. You may need to sprinkle flour if your dough is a bit sticky. Roll out until 1/4” thick. Transfer pizza, along with parchment paper on the bottom, to a baking sheet or pizza stone and place in oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While pizza is cooling, prepare your toppings (Do not turn off the oven). Spread strained tomato sauce over pizza crust and sprinkle with oregano seasoning. Place sliced tomatoes (sprinkled with salt and pepper) on pizza. Follow with fresh basil leaves and mozzarella cheese.
- Place pizza back in the oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and drizzle the outside rim of the crust with honey.
- Serve and enjoy.
Since this is a relatively simple and classic pizza recipe, I suggest using the highest quality ingredients you can get your hands to ensure the best possible flavor. Believe me when I say that the taste of a fresh, organic tomato can not be duplicated! The secret that sets this pizza apart from all other margherita pizzas is the final step of adding a drizzle of honey onto the rim of the crust. Trust me when I say that it’s a game-changer in the pizza world!
The same goes for the wine you’ll pair with the meal. We enjoyed pizza night with Cambria Wines Tepusquet Vineyard Syrah — its big, beautiful, robust flavors compliment so many flavors associated with pizza, making it the obvious choice.
Saluti e Buon Mangiare!