We are into the heart of summer and things are starting to heat up with these savory grilled jalapeno poppers. They serve up a healthy dose of spice but are tolerable with a creamy cheese mixture and sizzling bacon.
Growing up in Wisconsin, adding spice to any meal involved a dash of black pepper and that’s it. I’ve come a long way over the past 10 years living in California and that includes eating jalapeños!
I remember the first time we made these I was so nervous to take my first bite in fear that they would be too spicy. Cautiously nibbling that first bite, I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious they were. They only contained a fair amount of heat that just added to the flavor profile. I think I ended up eating half the tray!
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
gluten & dairy free optional
- 12 medium to large jalapeños (halved and de-seeded)
- 8oz cream cheese (vegan cream cheese optional)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (vegan cheese optional)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 16 slices of thin cut bacon, cut in half lengthwise
- Cut the stem off the jalapeños. slice into halves. remove the seeds and membrane using a spoon. If you like them extra spicy leave some seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded cheese, and paprika. Spoon a small amount of the mixture into the jalapeño halves.
- Wrap the jalapeños with half a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill should be set to low/medium heat and place jalapeños cut side up until the bacon begins to crisp. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Be careful of the bacon grease on the grill, you may have to use a piece of tin foil to prevent flare ups.
Whether you are serving these up as an appetizer or even as a side dish, you’ll want something refreshing to help combat the spice. I love sipping on a crisp Cambria Wines Chardonnay that compliments not only the heat of the jalapeños, but also the rising summer temperatures.
Love this recipe? Share it with your friends on Pinterest!
Written By : Kristin Mansky of Modish & Main