Last year we set up a picnic blanket, packed a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed fireworks under the stars for the Fourth of July. I found it cumbersome to sit on a hillside holding my wine glass to keep it from tumbling over. I didn’t want to waste a sip. This year I won’t be caught without my DIY wine stakes – they fit nicely into our picnic basket for easy travel.
I created them for just a few dollars in less than 5 minutes each! Make them longer for chair-side enjoyment or shorter for picnicking and outdoor concerts. They also make great gifts!
DIY Wine Stakes
- 6 gage copper wire (from the electrical section of the hardware store)
- Wire cutters
- Sand paper or sanding sponge
- Working the copper with your hands, curve the end to hold a glass and cut to size. For picnic height you’ll want them to be just 12-16".
- Using your wire cutters, cut the copper at an angle, so it will easily stake into the ground.
- Sand the edges to smooth the copper.
- Place your stake on a solid surface and push down with your hands to straighten it.
- Bend the wire into a circle shape at the top. This will be your wine glass holder, so don’t make the circle too big to fit the glass.
I hope you enjoy these DIY wine stakes as much as we do so that you can savor every last sip of Cambria Benchbreak Chardonnay!
Julie Blanner is a lifestyle blogger and entertaining expert who began sharing her effortless style of entertaining through her blog in 2008. Prior to her blogging career, she planned countless weddings, lavish events and intimate parties for clients through her event planning business, Coordinately Yours.
Growing up as a quintessential Midwestern girl in St. Louis, she spent countless hours on her grandmother’s farm, crafting and baking. After working for an exceptional catering company during college, her love for creating recipes and beautiful food was born. Her passion for event styling combined with that love for baking and cooking, which led her to create her event planning business directly out of college.
After years in the event industry, Julie has honed her signature style into a lifestyle blog with a captivating collection of recipes, home design, and entertaining advice. She has charmed her readers with a down-to-earth voice and a sophisticated, yet approachable design style. The soft, neutral interior of her home is at once calming and functional, reflecting a love for her family and intimate gatherings. Her approach is warm and simple – entertaining and design that celebrates everyday life.