Celebrate the holidays by creating a festive DIY wine cork garland.
The holiday season is clearly upon us, but if you’re looking for a last minute creative project or want to add a touch more festive decor then you’ll love making this DIY wine cork garland. It’s a super simple craft project that requires just a bit more of your time, but the results are well worth it. I call it my festive labor of love. I actually employed the help of a few family members and we created an assembly line and got it done much faster. This is after all what the holidays are about, finding quality time with the ones closest to you!
For our wine cork garland we needed 35 feet worth of cork and beads! It’s a daunting task at first, but throw on the Christmas music, open a bottle of wine and start threading. Our final cork count was 165. The beads help create length and you could even do two beads between every cork if you didn’t have that many on hand (now you have a reason to use all those corks you’ve been saving). Now that the garland has been assembled on the tree, it feels like it was always the missing thing from making it complete.
DIY Wine Cork Garland
- 150-250 wine corks
- .010” fishing line
- cranberry colored wood beads
- 13/64 drill bit + drill 7 cm
- threading needle
- Start first by taking a piece of twine and wrapping it around your Christmas tree to determine how much garland is needed to be made.
- Next step, drill a hole through the center of each cork. *Tip — Wear a glove on the hand holding the cork to ensure a secure grip & to protect your hand.
- Once all the corks have been drilled start to assemble the garland.
- Tie the threading needle to the end of the fishing line. This will help guide the fishing line through the cork.
- Simply thread a cork followed by a wood bead in that pattern for as many feet needed to create the desire length of garland.
- Tie off the completed end and carefully wrap the cork garland around the tree.
We’re wine drinkers in this house and now we’ve found the perfect, festive way to put it on display throughout the holidays with our cork garland. The decorations are complete, the cookies have been baked and now it’s time to gather with friends & family around the Christmas tree and say “Cheers” to another great year!
Love this holiday project? Share it with your friends or PIN it to save for later!