As you can tell, I have a knack for creating my own projects around the house. Since I had some leftover paint from our chalkboard wine glasses, I decided to make an easy DIY cheese tray that’ll be perfect when hosting your upcoming fall gatherings.
The next time you host wine tasting party or have friends and family over for the holidays, serve a delicious charcuterie spread on your own DIY cheese tray. It will have your guests thinking you’re a craftsman and the ultimate host.
The entire project costs less than $20 and when it’s not in use for serving food, it makes a great decor tray. Just add some candles, old books, or a vase with some flowers and you’re all set.
DIY Cheese Tray
- 3/4” x 12” x 36" Pine Board
- Wood Stain
- Staining Brush
- Chalkboard Paint
- Painters Tape
- Mini Roller Brush
- Small Paint Brush
- (2) Decorative Drawer Handles
1. Using a good quality staining paint brush, apply one coat of wood stain to your sanded pine board.
Staining Tip — Apply stain in long, even strokes throughout the length of the board. Wipe away an excess immediately and do not touch until completely dry.
2. Once dry, define a definitive space using painters tape to identify the area where the chalkboard paint will go. I simply placed the tape along the edges throughout the length of the board and double stacked the tape on the ends, approximately 2 inches. Using a plastic card, smooth out the tape and ensure a smooth, tight connection with the wood.
3. Using a mini roller brush, apply an even layer of chalkboard paint to the wood not covered by the painters tape. Leave the edges close to the tape unpainted as you will take a small paint brush and fill in these areas to ensure you don’t over saturate the tape line preventing uneven edges. After 10 minutes, apply another coat of paint and let dry for 6+ hours.
Important Note — To be on the safe side, use a nontoxic food-safe clear coat (available at craft stores) on top of chalkboard painted plates and platters.
4. Decide on where the placement of the decorative drawer handles will go. After marking the exact spot, pre-drill a hole and then screw in using the screws provided.
Note — depending on the size of the screws and the depth of the board, you may have to purchase longer screws.
You’re done! Now run to the market and grab your favorite cheeses, meats, olives, crackers and fruit for a delicious tray of snacks that will pair wonderfully with a beautiful glass of Cambria’s Bench Break Chardonnay.
If you need help selecting items for a delectable cheese tray that your friends and family will love, take a peek at our Guide to Throwing a Wine Tasting Party at Home. It’s full of great tips that’ll get you ready to host a memorable party in no time!
Love this post? Then share it with your friends on Pinterest!
Written By: Kristin Mansky